ZadPolBlog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Thanks, Dems

thehill.com/homenews/administration/109163-left-vows-to-fight-any-proposed-cuts-to-social-security

I've been paying into Social Security for my entire working life. I know it won't make me rich in retirement, but I've put so much into the system that I'd like to get a reasonable amount back to help with retirement, when that day comes.

Therefore, I'd just like to say: Thank you Democrats.

Just a few years ago, President Bush tried to tie Social Security to the stock market via crony contractors who were guaranteed to become rich by skimming off the top. This was just before Bush's Great Recession hit and the stock market lost 1/2 of its value. Some actually claim that the timing was coincidental, but it's just too suspicious with too selfish a track record.

Currently Republican leaders are calling for the earliest that Social Security can be taken be raised from 62 to 70, and reducing benefits. They say that by keeping the working class working an extra 8 years later in life, and reducing the quality if their life afterwards, it can partially pay for the tax subsidies for the very rich enacted under Bush.

Other Republicans are actively calling for an end to Social Security or "weaning us off", such that everything I have put into the system will be lost. This seems like a pretty bad deal for the working class.

Thusfar, Democrats have been successful in preventing any of these scenarios. So I just wanted to say "thanks".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home